Opera Glasses
Opera Houses
Opera Glasses
Home
Personages
Performances
Singes
Mementos

Tabor Grand Opera HouseApproximately 150 buildings called opera houses were built in Colorado between 1860 and 1920. Most no longer exist. Fire destroyed several, including, in 1907, the 1897 Grand Opera House in Cripple Creek, and, in 1922, the splendid 1890 Grand Opera House in Pueblo. As tastes in entertainment changed, many of the opera houses fell into disrepair and were demolished. The Tabor Grand Opera House in Denver (shown at left) was one of them. It was razed in 1964. The sites occupied by many of the old opera houses became automobile parking lots.

Forty-six survivors, or approximately one-third of the old opera houses, have been identified at present, but of these most have been so much remodeled and renovated that virtually nothing of the original remains. Primarily, they now are commercial properties or housing. Only 17 structures remain that have significant associations with opera in Colorado and are or will be entertainment venues. Four of these were called theaters but at least sometime functioned as an opera house: Orpheum Theatre in Buena Vista, Belvidere Theatre in Central City, Elitch's Theatre, and the Municipal Auditorium in Denver. The Orpheum Theater in Buena Vista has been renovated and now serves its local community as an opera house. The Belvidere Theatre  remains in a dilapidated state and badly in need of renovation. Four former opera houses have been or now are cinemas: Grove (formerly Isis) in Alamosa, Unique (formerly Salida) in Salida, Fox (formerly West) in Trinidad and Rourke in La Junta. Only eight of the old opera houses still are called opera houses and are mostly in original state: Wheeler in Aspen, Central City, Tabor in Leadville, Mancos, Wright in Ouray, Manassa, Sheridan in Telluride, and Dickens in Longmont. The stately and well-preserved Dickens Opera House, although a designated historic landmark, now has a billiard parlor and bar in its auditorium. The Butte Opera House in Cripple Creek has been attractively re-built from original materials.


dot red Demolished

dot gre Used for  performances

dot yel Not used for performances

dot blu In a Peter McCourt circuit; included touring opera companies Camera Click these to see pictures


Location, Date, Name


Current Status


Notes
 

Akron
bef. 1911
Clark Opera House
?? No information.
Listings of events at the Clark Opera House are found in the Akron Weekly Pioneer from 1911 through 1921.

Alamosa

ca. 1884
San Juan Opera House

dot red No information.
The Alamosa Journal for April 24, 1884 and later issues refer to meetings and social events in the San Juan opera house.
1901
Oliver Opera House


dot red The opera house was built by Alexander Oliver (born in Scotland in 1860), real estate investor and newspaper publisher, on the site of Armory Hall. Its address, on the north side of the street, was 212 Fifth St., which became 605 Main St. when the streets were renamed.

An article in the Alamosa Journal for July 23, 1903, notes the opera house opened "two years ago", so that establishes the Oliver's opening in 1901. The opera house is mentioned in the newspaper through 1915. The Dec 2, 1915, issue of the Alamosa Journal states "work has started on the remodeling of the Oliver Opera House into a business house for the United Stores' people." A photograph from the mid-1920s shows it as a J. C. Penney store.

bef, 1908
Colorado Opera House
dot redPresumably demolished; no information.
The earliest mention of this house, found so far, is in the Creede Candle of June 20, 1908. An item in the Alamosa Journal of May 3, 1912 tells of plans for moving the Ruby & Livingston garage "for the purpose of opening up the Colorado again as an opera house or skating rink." The opera house is mentioned in issues of the Alamosa Journal through 1916. A. B. Ruby was the manager.

1912
Isis Theatre
camera
dot green Now called the Grove Theatre. Building is at 615 Main. It has been considerably modified, the original arcade entrance covered. The theater currently is not operating.
An article in the Alamosa Journal for Oct 18, 1912, mentions the ordering of opera chairs for the "new Isis Theatre." This is under the headline: "New Opera House to Have Special Chairs." In 1913 moving pictures were being shown there and the theatre was referred to as a motion picture house in a Sep 30, 1915, article in the Alamosa Journal.

Alma

1897
Fehringer Opera House
?? No information.
Adolph ('Dolph) Fehringer, from Illinois, established a drug store in Alma  in 1879. In 1883 he put his younger brother, Otto, in charge of the Alma store and started another in Fairplay. The Fehringer brothers also added mining shares and ranches to their investments and from their multiple businesses became substantial citizens of South Park. Otto built the Fehringer Opera House as a community center for this mining town when it had about 900 citizens. Stelzel's Opera House in Alma is mentioned in the Fairplay newspaper in 1903 to 1905; it may have been new name of the Fehringer or else another opera house. Fairplay's opera house has newspaper mention in 1900 to 1911.

Antonito

bef. 1911
Antonito Opera House
camera
Dot Yellow Now the Golden Nugget Night Club. "Antonito Opera House, Antonito Amusement Co props, J D Frazey mgr." is a listing in the 1911 Gazetteer Publishing Company's Business Directory for Antonito. The Feb 3, 1911, issue of the Alamosa Journal has an item mentioning a dance at the Antonito Opera House. It is listed in F. A. McKinney's San Luis Valley City Directory 1913-1914.

dot bluAspen
1881
Corkhill Opera House

dot red Replaced by the Wheeler Opera House in 1899 as the theatre for Aspen. Fate unknown.
Aspen's first permanent structure intended for theatrical productions. May have become the Rink Opera House in 1884, which was renamed the Tivoli Theatre in 1890. This house was added to McCourt's circuit in 1888, to serve until the Wheeler was finished.

1889
Wheeler Opera House
Camera
dot green By 1909 the Wheeler had become a motion picture house. In 1912 two mysterious fires destroyed much of the building. A series of renovations and restorations have taken place starting in 1949, and it is now Aspen's premiere performing arts center; summer operas.

Jerome B. Wheeler, a wealthy investor in Aspen mining properties originally from New York, then living in Manitou Springs, where he had built a bank and opera house combination, built a fine home and, in 1889, the Hotel Jerome and the Wheeler Block (The Wheeler Opera House Building). The Opera House was on the third floor. The Gala Grand Opening of the Wheeler Opera House on April 23 and 24, 1889, featured a performance by Conried's English Comic Opera Co. of The King's Fool. Also on the bill was a tantalizing performance by a group of Viennese lady fencers.

Berthoud
1885
Fairbairn Hall
Camera
dot red When Berthoud's first high school was built in 1921, the hall fell into disuse as a public meeting place. The stage and basketball goals were gone by the 1950s. Shortly after the lumber company was closed in 1968 the building was razed to make way for the fire department building and community center that occupies the site today.

A large room on the second floor of a building that had the Fairbairn lumber and coal business on the first floor, was fitted with a stage with "wings" and a curtain. There traveling shows, local talent shows, commencement exercises, and dances were held. In 1894 Fairbairn traded the lumberyard to C.M. Tilton for his farm and the hall became Tilton Hall. In 1899 Fairbairn regained the business and again became Fairbairn Hall. By 1903 when the 300-person town of Berthoud graduated its first twelfth class, the commencement exercise was held at the hall that local residents also called the opera house. In 1908 it became Mintener Hall Opera House when a Minnesota businessman acquired it.

dot blu Boulder
bef. 1891
Feeny Opera House
Dot RedFate unknown, but presumably no longer exists.

From the earliest issues of the Boulder Daily Camera, 1891, in the Historic Colorado Newspaper Collection, and through 1896, the Feeny Opera House (Feeny's Opera House or Feeny Hall) is mentioned as having various meetings, entertainments and gatherings. No other information is known.

1906
Curran Opera House
dot redThe Fox Theater Company purchased the building in 1935 and tore it down. The Boulder Theater, an art-deco style movie house, was built in its place and opened in 1936.
Opened in 1906 as Curran Opera House by wealthy billboard sign owner James Curran, the venue featured opera, musical productions and silent movies. Curran also leased opera houses in Erie, Lafayette and Louisville, which formed the "Curran Circuit." R. P. Penney was the manager of all four houses, according to Cahn's Official Theatrical Guide for 1908. When films outnumbered other productions, the hall was called the Curran Theatre.

Breckenridge
1907
Breckenridge Opera House

dot redFate unknown, but presumably no longer exists.
The Breckenridge Bulletin for April 2, 1907, speaks of citizens commencing "to talk up the scheme of a new stone opera house for Breckenridge." By November of that year there are items in the newspaper about events at the opera house.

Brighton
????
Higgins Opera House
?? Became a saloon. The Presbyterians first met for services in this building during the period when it was a saloon.

This house seated 1,200. Said by Draper to be Brighton's first opera house, it was at 24 N. Main where the Gamble store used to be. The building was erected by H. Wormingon who also built the Orlando Hotel.

1888
Carmichael Opera House
(Wire Opera House)
Camera
dot redBurned July 25, 1955.

A two-story building, situated on land later occupied by both J. C. Penney and Woolworth stores, the opera house on the second floor seated 1,000. The first floor was occupied by a large number of offices and businesses, including a livery stable. Although the building changed hands several times, it continued to be referred to as the Wire Building.

Brush
1902
Knearl Opera House
camera
dot yellow Currently is the Cattlemen's Inn, with a tavern downstairs and rooms to let upstairs, where the auditorium once was. The address is 101 Clayton St.

Built by Brush pioneer, William Knearl (1855-1947), the two-story red brick building, with a full basement, is the largest in Brush. Excavation and the footing were done in March, 1902 and the building was completed on July 20, 1902. Knearl Hall was on the upper floor where dances and school graduation ceremonies were held. The lower floor contained the post office and Kneral's Mercantile Store, a supply point on the old Texas-Montana Cattle Trail that followed Beaver Creek Valley through Brush.

Buena Vista
1882
Hiller-Hallock Opera House
dot redNo longer exists. It was on the southeast corner of Colorado and Main, perhaps about 50 feet from the present Orpheum Theater.
The building cost $8,000. County offices were on the lower floor. The public hall on the second floor seated 300. Gilbert and Sullivan's Patience was performed there in 1889. Horace Tabor donated the curtain for the opera house. Hiller and Hallock were founders of the First National Bank of Buena Vista.

bef. 1907
Pyle Opera House

dot redFate of building unknown.
Harry S. Pyle, owner and manager of Pyle's opera house, committed suicide in 1907 in his room in the Opera House block.
1910
Orpheum Theater
Camera
dot greA cinder block building, topped by a corrugated iron stagehouse; at 411 East Main; the theatre was on the 2nd story; the lower floor was once a garage; now houses several businesses. The cornerstone date is 1910. The largest single structure on Main St. except for the courthouse, this building once held the Orpheum Theatre upstairs and the Lincoln Garage downstairs. The building, now on the state Register of Historic Buildings, was purchased by John M. Cogswell in 1994. With funds from the Colorado State Historical Society, the structural aspects of the Theater have been renovated and the property is to be deeded to the Orpheum Theater, Inc., a non-profit organization which presently has control of the Theater.

dot blu Cañon City
1885
Cañon City Opera House

dot red A snow collapsed the roof in 1960. It then stood empty until it was torn down in 1967 to make room for a parking lot.
Two local businessmen, Bridwell and Cassidy, converted their skating rink into the theatre in the summer of 1885. The house, located at 614 Main St., seated 500. It was a cinema, showing silent movies in 1914-15 and then talkies in the 20s, and still later became a bowling alley.

Center
bef. 1910
Center Opera House
Camera
dot yellow Located on the southwest corner of Worth and 3rd, the lower floor of this two-story building is a Big R Store. The upper floor, which was the opera house, is closed and not in use.
An item in the San Juan Prospector of Del Norte for December 17, 1910, p. 2, mentions a meeting held at the Center Opera House. It is listed in  F. A. McKinney's San Luis Valley City Directory 1913-1914 as being in the Bank Block, N. C. Gilbreath manager. In addition to managing the opera house, Newton C. Gilbreath is listed as president and manager of the Center Mercantile Co., suggesting that the lower floor was the business that supported the second floor opera house.

dot blu Central City
1861
Montana Theatre
(in the photograph, the Montana is right of center with the round window and flag pole)
Camera
dot redBuilt of logs, it burned in the May 22, 1874, fire that destroyed most of Central City. Site now occupied by the Edmundson Block.

Grand Duchess of GerolsteinBuilt by George W. Harrison on Eureka Street in 1861, it was called the National Theatre. The name was changed to Montana Theatre in 1862. Plays and later light operas were presented there for 3 months each year. The Howson Opera Troupe performed there for 2 weeks in July 1869. The Grand Duchess of Gerolstein by Offenbach was their opening performance on July 5 and that, presumably, was the first professionally performed opera in Central City. In 1872 a new owner renamed the building The Olympic Theatre, but by the end of the summer it again was called the Montana.

Click picture to play the Wedding March
from The Grand Duchess of Gerolstein


1875
Belvidere Theatre
Camera
dot yel The City of Black Hawk and Central City recently joined forces to develop the Belvidere Theatre into a regional community theatre.

H. M. Teller and Judge S. B. Hahn sponsored the construction of a brick building to house the town armory. The second floor was a theatre, the Belvidere, which was equipped with plain oak chairs, a stage and seven sets of scenery. In 1877 Balfe's opera, The Bohemian Girl, was performed there. The structure later became a stable with a feed and coal store, then home to the Central Bottling Works, the Fire Department, the Colorado militia, the Central City Garage and dealership, and a basketball court and recreation center.

1878
Central City Opera House
Camera
dot greThree operas performed in repertory every summer. The two-story Renaissance Revival style stone building is the oldest surviving and first permanent opera house in Colorado. It was built with funds raised by a citizens' group interested in bringing cultural opportunities to the area, the Gilpin County Opera House Association. Between 1910 and 1927, the building functioned as a motion picture theater. Donated to the University of Denver in 1931, the building was restored by the Central City Opera House Association to serve as a venue for an ongoing summer opera program.

Colorado City
1901
Waycott Opera House
(Mack's Opera House)
Camera
dot yelAt 2432 West Colorado Ave., Meadow Muffins bar and restaurant on first floor; Producers Group Studios on second floor where opera house used to be; third floor has offices. (Listed in the 1909 Colorado City & Manitou Springs Directory as Mack's Opera House, J. J. McCorkle mgr.).

The Waycott Building was at the corner of 5th and Colorado, two blocks north of the Colorado Midland Railway Depot. Its first occupants were the First National Bank, Stewart & Tiger Bicycles in the basement, and the Waycott Opera House on the second floor. The third floor, billed as "the best dance floor in the state," was the W. O. W. Hall. The Waycott Building's street address at 431 Colorado changed to 2432 West Colorado in 1917. In later times, Mack's Ice Cream, where ice cream and candy were made and sold in the parlor, was in the basement, the Idle Hour Theater (vaudeville and, later, cinema) was on the first floor, the opera house remained on the second and the third floor was a meeting place for various city lodges. Opera patrons accessed a side entrance on 25th Street and went up a flight of stairs to purchase tickets before entering the double doors to the theatre. The building survived a fire in December 2002 with only water and smoke damage, while four buildings to the east of it were completely destroyed.

dot blu Colorado Springs
1881
Colorado Springs Opera House
Camera

dot yel After being remodeled into an office building, it is now a night club complex. S. N. Nye resigned in 1913 as manager of the opera house after 30 years in the position.
The three-story building at 18 N. Tejon St. cost $80,000, and many thought it could not be surpassed West of the Mississippi. (See interior view.) The third story was a Masonic lodge and banquet room. It became a vaudeville house in 1904 and was converted to a movie theater in 1919. When its days of entertainment ended about 10 years later, it was converted into a storefront with a soda fountain and offices upstairs. In 1947 it was converted to a Woolworth store. In 1989 the variety store closed and the building became vacant.

1912
Burns Theatre
Camera
dot redDemolished in 1973 and is now the site for a drive-through banking facility.
Built in 1912 with $300,000 worth of Cripple Creek gold on Pikes Peak Ave. In 1928 it was turned into a movie house and renamed the Paramount and then the Chief.

Como

1885
Broadway Opera House
dot redNo details known.
Como was on a rail line from Denver to Breckenridge and was a train stop with a roundhouse, remains of which can still be seen there. The Broadway appears to have been re-named De Barneure's Opera House in late 1885 and then by 1897 called the Como Opera House.

Cortez
1898
Cortez Opera House
(Woodmen of the World Hall)
dot redThe site is now occupied by county offices.
Built by the Woodmen of the World, a fraternal order. The first county fair was held there in 1905. In 1919 it was leased for movies. The building was used as a theatre until the building of the high school auditorium in 1923. After remodeling was completed in 1950, it became the home of the Elk's lodge and was so used until sometime in the 1960s.

Craig
ca. 1891
Craig Opera House

dot redBurned in 1896.
The opera house was on the site where the Galaxy Restaurant now stands on the west side of Yampa St. between Victory Way and 6th St. That building was originally the Town Hall, built about 1912.

1897
Craig Opera House
camera
dot yel Presently is owned by a plumbing and heating business.
On the west side of Russell St., between Victory Way and 6th St. The building was dedicated on January 1, 1897.

Creede
1892
Bachelor Opera House

dot red Fate unknown.
Bachelor (officially Teller) was a suburb or Creede in the 1890s. The Bachelor Opera House is first mentioned in the Creede Candle Dec 2, 1892 as the new opera house; also mentioned in the issues of Jun 29 and Oct 19, 1894.

ca. 1904
Derrick Opera House

dot red Fate unknown; may have been
re-named Collins Opera House (see
next).
The Derrick Opera House is mentioned in the Creede Candle Aug 13 and June 25, 1904, and Jan 28, 1905.
1905
Collins Opera House

dot redBurned in 1937.
The new Collins Opera House opened August 5, 1905, and the Marie Co., a troupe well known to Creede, gave the first performance. It is listed in  F. A. McKinney's San Luis Valley City Directory 1913-1914 with A. M. Collins as manager. The opera house was used in later years as a cinema.

ca. 1908
I.O.O.F. Opera House
dot red Fate unknown.
The I.O.O.F. Opera House is mentioned in the Creede Candle Apr 25, 1908.


Blue dot Cripple Creek
1892
Grand Opera House

dot red Burned in one of the 1896 fires. Was located at 128 E. Myers. The opera house was upstairs, with a livery down below.

bef. 1894
Koch Opera House

?? No information.
Listed in the 1894 History and Description of the Cripple Creek Mining District. Was in use in early 1900s.
ca. 1896
Abbott Opera House
dot red Absent from Sanborn Map of 1900; may have been sacrificed to make way for the Teller County Courthouse, which was begun in 1900.

It is shown on the Sanborn map for 1896. Was at 121-125 W. Bennett.
1896
Butte Opera House
dot greThe tradition of presenting classic melodrama in Cripple Creek dates back to the late 1940’s when Wayne and Dorothy Mackin purchased the Imperial Hotel and for 60+years their acting company produced original melodramas in the basement of the hotel. In the early 1990s the last Imperial show was performed as the Imperial became a casino. After a few dark years, the traditional melodramas were revived in the Butte Opera House The renovated house hosts melodramas by the Cripple Creek Players plus movies and local plays.

The Butte Concert and Beer Hall premiered in 1896. Some time later the theater re-premiered as the Butte Opera House under the management of D.R. McArthur.The opera house then began a series of makeovers: it became the Butte Hall Dancing Academy, followed by The Watt Brothers Furniture Company, back to a theatre (under the name Teller Hall,) a skating rink, a secondhand store, an armory, an auto garage, the Cripple Creek Auto Company, and eventually fell into disuse, serving as a storage facility for the fire department located below. Early in 1999, the city of Cripple Creek began extensive renovations to refurbish the Butte with fresh paint, Victorian-era wallpaper, and period chandeliers. When final renovations were completed on the Butte Opera House in 2000, the summer melodrama that played for 60+ seasons in the Imperial Hotel moved to the Butte.

1897
Grand Opera House
Camera
dot red Destroyed in the fire of July 19, 1907. Large ruins of rock walls remain. Was on the South side of Myers Ave. between 3rd and 4th St. Built by H. V. Levie for $27,000, it operated first as the Topic Theatre. In 1900 the Lombardi Grand Opera Company gave two performances there and the Maurice Grau Opera Company also performed. The Tivoli Opera Company gave performances in 1901. The world's first indoor rodeo was staged at the Grand.

1909
Lyric Opera House
dot red Burned in May, 1916, after someone dropped a cigarette; was not listed in the 1917-18 city directory.

Was at 434 E. Bennett Ave.; originally built by the Odd Fellows, it was remodeled in 1910 to replace the former opera house, The Grand; became a movie theater; site now occupied by Double Eagle Casino. Interior view.

Del Norte
bef. 1881
Elliott Opera House

?? Fate unknown.
An item in the San Juan Prospector for July 2, 1881 states that "C. W. Adams has leased the old Elliott opera house, on Grand Avenue, and will open out a dance hall as soon as the building can be put in shape."
1883
Del Norte Opera House
camera
dot red In decrepit condition, it was demolished in the mid-1960s. The site is now a parking lot.

Begun in June, 1882, at the corner of Grand Ave. and Spruce St. and built for $14,000, it was know as the Kiel-Warren building. The first floor and cellar were to be commercial space. The opera house was on the 2nd floor, which was leased by the Masons. Seated 350. Listed in  F. A. McKinney's San Luis Valley City Directory 1913-1914; Glenn O. Cochran mgr. The first floor became a cinema (Princess Theater) and the opera house floor a dance hall.

Delta
1895
Anna Dora Opera House
(in picture, opera house entrance is at far right; opera house on second floor, hardware store on first)
Camera
dot red Burned December 27, 1939. The Anna Dora Opera House was famous for its performances of Gilbert and Sullivan operettas, directed by Thomas Kearns. The opera house was built by J. Frank Sanders, pioneer businessman and entrepreneur, who discovered a gold vein in Ouray country and became wealthy. It was at the corner of Third and Main and named after his daughter Anna and for Dora, the daughter of business associate Ray Simpson. It was the only place large enough for public meetings until 1921, when a new high school with a larger auditorium was built. Shortly thereafter, the Anna Dora was used only as a storage unit for the Delta Hardware store below.

dot blu Denver
1861
Denver Theatre
Camera





dot red Destroyed by fire March 19, 1877.

(Grant and Hill leased the theatre in November 1876 and changed the name to Denver Opera House, but their tenure lasted only a few weeks and the name reverted to Denver Theatre.)

Opened in November, 1861, as the Platte Valley Theater on the northeast corner of 16th and Lawrence streets, it was bought in August, 1862, by Jack Langrishe and Mike Dougherty, who made improvements and renamed it the Denver Theater. The Howson Opera Troupe performed there in 1869, apparently the first time an opera was performed in Denver. The Aimée Opera Company gave performances there in 1872 and the Oates Opera Company appeared in 1876.

1873
Turner Hall
(Turnhalle)















dot red Figaro's Hochzeit was staged in the Turnhalle by the Richings-Bernard Grand English Opera Co. in 1877 and in 1878, because these Sunday performances were not permitted in Forrester's Opera House. The Kellogg and Cary Grand Concerts took place here in November 1877.

Built on Holladay St. (now 20th and Market) by the Turnverein Society of the German community for athletic activities, social affairs, German operas and concerts. Additions were made in 1875 and 1879, but the neighborhood deteriorated, leading to selling of the hall in 1887. After a failed attempt to build a new hall at Curtis and 20th, an impressive Turnhalle between 21st and 22nd on Arapahoe opened in 1890. This East Denver Turnhalle burned in 1920.
dot green The existing Turnverein Hall at 1570 Clarkson St. was then built in 1921.
dot green The West Denver Turnhalle Opera House, also known as Vorkwaert's Turnhalle, was built by Max Melsheimer in 1882 as part of his brewery, in the 1300 block of 10th St., which later became the Tivoli Brewery and is today within the Student Center complex of Metro State University, largely in original state. (There may have been a second West Denver Turnverein meeting hall built in 1893 at 133 12th St.; it no longer exists.)

1873
Forrester Opera House

(known successively as Guard Opera House, Guard Hall, Forrester Opera House, Denver Opera House, and Armory Hall)
Camera

dot red Use as an opera house ceased when the Tabor Grand opened in 1881. By 1901 the building's ground floor was storerooms and the upper two were apartments. It was demolished in 1915. Completed in 1873 by a military organization, the Governor's Guard, as a place to drill. The structure, on the northwest corner of 15th and Curtis, included a hall for lectures, concerts, plays and operas. Known first as the Governor's Guard Hall, in 1877 it became Forrester Opera House when leased by Nate Forrester. It later operated as the Denver Opera House. The Ware-Linton Opera Company "direct from England" in 1875, and the Richings-Bernard Grand English Opera Company in 1877 and 1878 appeared there.

1881
16th Street Theatre







dot redTorn down in 1885. The theatre was opened in January 24, 1881, and used as such for a little over a year. It was located across the street from the Tabor Grand, which opened 8 months later and took its business away. The building then became a billiard parlor.

Jack Langrishe, famous Denver actor and impresario, whose Denver Theatre had burned in 1877, was the prime mover of this theatre. Although short lived, the 16th Street Theatre hosted some of the best productions to play in Denver during 1881, including Patience and Pirates of Penzance by the Denver Opera Company and a set of four opéra bouffe by the Soldene Comic Opera Company.

1881
Tabor Grand Opera House
Camera






dot red It was located at 16th and Curtis Streets. By the 50s lower downtown Denver had deteriorated and the Tabor was playing to a skid row audience, showing cheap "B" movies. The mighty Tabor was demolished in 1964 and replaced by a Federal Reserve Bank. Opened in September 1881, the Tabor Grand was regarded as the best-equipped theater between the Midwest and San Francisco, and cost in the neighborhood of $850,000 in 1881 dollars--a phenomenal sum for the time. It had 1,500 seats. Peter McCourt became manager in 1884. During the height of its popularity, people came from all over the world to enjoy premiere theater and musical performances. This continued until 1921, when the Tabor Grand was reorganized as The Colorado movie house. Eight years later it became the Tabor Theatre, and featured plays and eventually films off and on until its demise in 1964.

1882
Academy of Music

(rebuilt as Denver Music Hall; in November 1888 renamed Denver Theater)

dot redDestroyed by fire July 6, 1886. It was rebuilt 6 months later and named Denver Music Hall.
The building was located at the southwest corner of 16th and Market, directly opposite the old Mint. It had a seating capacity of 1,000. Several touring opera companies performed there. Mme. Adelina Patti sang in the Denver Music Hall in 1887. The date of demise of the Denver Theater is not known. The site is now occupied by the 16 Market Building, a high rise with a bank and lofts.

1889
Metropolitan Theater

(also called The Metropolitan; later named 15th Street Theater and then People's Theatre)

dot redBurned to the ground June 10, 1892.
The theatre was built on the corner of 15th and Cleveland Place. It was named 15th Street Theatre for a while in 1890. Eventually coming under the ownership of Horace Tabor, the name was changed to People's Theatre, but when only 3 years old the 1,000 seat theatre burned. The theater was managed by Philip McCourt, whose brother was Peter McCourt and sister was Baby Doe Tabor. Among the opera companies that performed there were the California Opera Company, Grand Italian Opera Company, and Emma Juch Grand English Opera Company.

1890
Broadway Theatre
Camera


dot redThe Broadway had become a movie house in 1935 with occasional musical productions. It was demolished in 1955 to facilitate construction of a parking facility for the Cosmopolitan Hotel, which  had been built next door in 1926.
Constructed by William H. Bush, a principal investor for an English syndicate, the Windsor Land and Investment Company, the 1,624 seat theatre cost $250,000 and was located at E.18th and Broadway, in the Hotel Metropole Building. The theatre was opened August 18, 1890, by the Emma Juch Grand English Opera Company. Peter McCourt and Bush leased the theatre in 1896 for 5 years and began managing it.

1891
Elitch Theatre
Camera


dot greClosed in 1991. In December 2002, the city of Denver announced a $15 million campaign was underway to restore it. It is expected to reopen in 2005, with about 800 seats and year-round occupancy.

A popular place for summer amusements, located on West 38th Ave. between 21st and 24th Streets. Offering plays and light operas, Elitch's was the longest continuously operating summer theatre in America. The Boston Opera Company played a 6-week engagement in the summer of 1891 and the Aborn Company opened Elitch's summer program in 1892 with Olivette.

1891
Manhattan Beach Theatre
Camera

dot red Burned down in December 1908.
Located on the "beach" of Sloan Lake at the intersection of Byron Place and Sheridan Blvd., the theatre was home to the Manhattan Beach Opera Company.

1907
Municipal Auditorium
Camera
dot gre Although it hosted conventions, athletic events, exhibitions and other entertainments, the auditorium became the de facto opera house of Denver. Presently undergoing renovation as the Ellie Caulkins Opera House, it will be the new home of Opera Colorado, with an expanded opera season.
The impetus for constructing the auditorium was to house the 1908 Democratic National Convention. It was dedicated June 1, 1908, and the convention opened July 7. In 1909, Joseph Bosetti, a Denver priest who founded the Denver Grand Opera Company, staged his first opera, The Queen's Lace Handkerchief (Strauss), at the Auditorium. A pipe organ, dedicated with great fanfare in 1918, was dismantled during renovations to the theater in 1955 and later sold for scrap. On May 19 and 20, 1921 the first opera presented in its entirety over the radio was broadcast by 9ZAF in Denver. The opera, Martha, aired from the Auditorium.

Dolores
ca. 1909
Dolores Opera House

?? No information.


The Dolores Opera House is cited in articles in the Montezuma Journal (Cortez) and the Mancos Times-Tribune from Jan 14, 1909 to Sep 18, 1919. It was owned by the Knights of Pythias.

Durango
1895
Columbian Opera House
(Durango Opera House; Stilwell Opera House; Strater Opera House)
dot yelThe 1888 Strater Hotel still stands and is Durango's most recognizable historic landmark. The opera house was in a hotel annex built in 1893 that became an opera house in 1895. The space in the early 1900s became a restaurant and is now the Mahagony Grille.
A Durango newspaper carries references to the Columbian Opera House in 1898 issues with the manager a Mr. Stilwell. The 1903 City Directory lists the Durango Opera House with Charles E. Stilwell, manager, and that name was used through 1905 in the local newspaper but by 1907 it was being called Stilwell Opera House. An "opera license" was issued by the City clerk for $12.50 for the period 17 Sep. 1907 to 1 Mar. 1908.

ca. 1892
Hansen Opera House

dot redThe Leland Hotel was replaced in about 1925 by the Elks Club.
The opera house was part of the Leland Hotel at the northwest corner of what is now 9th St. and E. 2nd Ave. It was owned and/or operated by Chris Hansen and used for all the balls and traveling theatrical parties.

ca. 1905
Red Men Opera House

dot yelThe building is at 146 E. 9th St. and is used for a restaurant and offices. The name presumably derives from having been a lodge hall for the Improved Order of Red Men.
A stage was added to Red Men Hall, making it functionally an opera house. The Red Men Opera House is listed in the 1911 and 1915 City Directories. The manager in 1911 was W. E. Alexander; in 1915 the manager was W. W. McEwen Jr. The Masonic Lodge occupied the building in April, 1917, and later purchased the building. Its seating capacity was 700, according to the 1908 Cahn's Official Theatrical Guide.

Eaton
1906
Palace Opera House
dot redThe building was occupied last by the Home Gas & Electric Company offices in 1942. It was torn down when the CO-85 was expanded to four-lanes.
R. S. Denniss began the reconstruction of a portion of the Palace Hotel (built in 1902 on the NE corner of Oak and 2nd Sts.) to create a theatre capable of seating 350. Partitions were removed on the lower west side floor and a stage and dressing rooms were constructed at the north end. Several hundred dollars worth of scenery, curtains and stage settings were ordered; seating consisted of folding chairs. The first performance in the opera house was by the Edison Theatre Company on April 9, 1906, in the incomplete house. Feverish work the next day and the arrival of a consignment of chairs better prepared the house for the second-night, the official opening.

Elizabeth
bef. 1897
Huber Opera House

dot red Fate of building unknown.
Existence of opera house known from listing in local newspapers of the time, the Castle Rock Journal and Elbert County Banner, from 1897 to 1909.

Erie
bef. 1900
Erie Opera House
dot yelThe building was remodeled in 1926 and currently is residences.
The opera house is shown on Erie maps from 1900 and 1906 on Wells St. and the alley between Briggs and Katell. It was long structure and four lots wide; the proprietors were A. Seidler, Oakley and Edwards. Its seating capacity was 450. A member of the Curran Circuit. Listed in the 1908 Cahn's Official Theatrical Guide.

Florence
ca. 1903
Florence Opera House
(Houston Opera House)
dot redDemolished; now the parking lot for a bank. Seating capacity 750. Listed in the 1908 Cahn's Official Theatrical Guide. Newspaper articles mention the opera house at Florence through 1917. Was on the second floor above a store; used as skating rink and dance hall in the 1930s.

1917
Florence Opera House
dot red No longer exists; fate unknown.
An item in the March 30, 1917, Bayfield Blade dates this opera house: "Swell dance Celebrated opening of new opera house in Florence.

Dot blue Florissant

bef. 1897
Florissant Opera House
Dot redFate unknown; does not currently exist
The opera house was part of a business block. It was a member of McCourt's Silver Circuit in 1897.


Blue dotFort Collins

1881
Fort Collins Opera House
(opera house in picture is 3-story lighter one at right and the fly house is to left)
Camera
dot red In 1917 the building front was completely remodeled; the theater became a dance hall. In the late 1980s the Opera House and adjacent buildings were renovated into what is now Opera Galleria.

"Central Block" above the doorway, at 127 N. College Ave., marks the main entrance to the former Opera House, the scene of cultural and social events in early Fort Collins.

Fort Morgan
1903
Grace Opera House
dot yellow A variety of businesses have been in the building; currently, the building is Warehouse Furniture Sales. The original three-bay brick facade and pressed metal cornice is covered by metal siding. Grace Opera House was built by Thomas F. Grace in 1902-1903 and is located at 221-223 Main Street in Fort Morgan. The upper level contains a large auditorium space that was used frequently for dances, high school commencement ceremonies, the first meeting hall for the Elks Club, and other town functions. On the first floor, Grace operated a pool hall and a bowling alley and rented out the other half of the space.

Frisco
bef. 1882
Graff Opera House
dot redFate unknown; no information.
An item in the Montezuma Millrun, 2 Sep. 1882, p. 3, col. 1: "The Democratic Central Committee met at Frisco, August 26, pursuant to a call of Hon. J. S. Wheeler, chairman... A unanimous vote of thanks was tendered to Ja. H. Thompson for the use of the Graff Opera House.

dot blu Georgetown
1875
Cushman Opera House
Camera
dot redThe opera house was the third story auditorium of the brick building at the NW corner of 6th and Taos. In 1969 a heavy snow collapsed the roof and when the building was restored the third story was removed. The building, now two stories, for several years housed a restaurant called the Silver Queen; it now contains a bank and restaurant on the first floor and offices on the second. The Richings-Bernard Grand English Opera Company performed Il Trovatore, The Bohemian Girl, and Martha there in 1877. Used until about 1880 when a packed house strained the auditorium's supporting beams, the opera house was declared unsafe. When repairs were completed in 1881 the space became a lodge hall and appears to have been shunned as a performance auditorium. Opera house events were then transferred to the McClellan Opera House.
1876
McClellan Opera House
camera
dot redBurned in 1892 when McClellan was attempting to thaw frozen pipes under the house with hot coals. The opera house was on the SE corner of 6th and Taos, next to the Hotel de Paris, which still stands. The site is now a parking lot.
The building, used by churches and performers, as well as merchants, began as McClellan Hall in 1868. It was sold to Henry and William Teller in 1869 and then returned to McClellan in 1872. An expansion in 1876 appears to have resulted in the creation of the opera house, with a seating capacity of 1,200 and a stage 24 by 32 feet.

1892
Spruance Opera House
dot red Originally Spruance's Rink, it was adapted for an opera house in February 1892 after the McClellan burned. Torn down in the 1940s.
The opera house was on the second floor of the Fish Block, at the northwestern corner of 7th and Rose. The opera house, with Z. E. Harb (or Hart) as manager, a seating capacity of 500, and electric illumination, is listed in Cahn's Official Theatrical Guide for 1908. The opera house, which came to be known as the Auditorium, was purchased by the city of Georgetown in 1920 and was later used for athletics and as a cinema.

dot blu Glenwood Springs
1891
Durand Hall
dot yelHeadquarters for Glenwood Springs Eagles Lodge Aerie No. 215. Brick building erected in 1888; in 1890 occupied by a hardware and stove store; converted in 1891 by C. Ward Durand to a public use hall with a stage and then called an opera house; in 1905 became known as Glenwood Springs Opera House; in 1919 as the Odeon Theater, and in 1927 as the Odeon Dance Hall; in 1948 the Fraternal Order of Eagles became owners.

Golden
1879
Golden Opera House
dot yelThe building, built Milliken and Lee on capital stock of $10,000 at 1218 Washington Street, is now the Ace-Hi Tavern. The Golden Opera House was on the second. It consisted of a large hall, 60 by 80 ft., seating 600, with a stage at one end. Many fraternal organizations hosted meetings and dances there. It closed when movie theaters became popular.


Goldfield


ca. 1898
Clark's Opera House
dot redNo longer stands. Was at 9th and Independence Ave. G. W. Harrington was the proprietor. Goldfield was in the Cripple Creek mining district.

dot blu Grand Junction
1883
Mandel Opera House
Camera
dot yelIt was at the southeast corner of 6th and Main where Main Street Bagels is now located.   In 1885 Mesa County purchased the Mandel Opera House for offices until 1924. Sometime in the mid-1930s it was extensively renovated (perhaps due to a fire) and was modified from a two-story to a one and one-half story building with a different exterior, including the addition of glass block bricks which remain still.

1885
Mesa Opera Rink

dot yelCurrently houses the Mesa Theater & Club, at 538 Main.
This house was included in McCourt's Silver Circuit bookings in 1887 and beyond. The building is no longer listed as an opera house in 1893. It later became a feed store and then opened as the Majestic Theater in 1909. In 1910 the building was seriously damaged, then repaired and enlarged to a two-story structure. It was again modified around 1952.

1892
Park Opera House
Camera
dot red The site is now under the Museum of Western Colorado parking lot. The building probably was first may have been a livery stable and then converted to an opera house. Equipped with all the latest conveniences, this 740 seat house cost $35,000, and remained in operation until about 1919. Subsequently the abandoned building was owned by the Smith Family who tore it down in 1936 when they built a warehouse.

dot blu Greeley
1885
Jackson Opera House
Camera
dot redThe site is now a parking lot. Built by H. B. Jackson, at 707 8th Ave.; a plaque under the cornice reads: "H.B. Jackson 1883", so it may have been built 2 years before it opened as an opera house; later used as a skating rink.

1886
Hunter Opera House
(Greeley Opera House)
Camera
dot redBuilding totally razed and replaced by Hested's store in 1964.  The store closed in 1976.  Following a 1983-84 remodeling, the building currently houses offices.

The three-story Opera House block, built by Sam D. Hunter, was on the southeast corner of Eighth Street and Eight Avenue. The opera house, on the second floor, was the largest and finest in the state north of Denver. It seated 800. The house, which previously had ties with the old Tabor Circuit, joined McCourt's Silver Circuit in May, 1895.

1911
Sterling Opera House
camera
dot red This Romanesque opera house later was called the Sterling Theater. It was razed in 1968. The opening of the opera house in June of 1911 was announced in several Colorado newspapers. The Sterling Hotel and Theater building adjacent to the Courthouse, was razed and a new Weld County office building and jail were built on the site. Know as the Weld Centennial Center, this new complex was dedicated in 1976.

Grover
1914
Grover Opera House
Camera
dot yelHouses the Grover Regional Library. The Grover Opera House is one of only three remaining original buildings on the main street of Grover.


Gunnison
1882
Academy of Music
dot redIt closed as a performance venue on September 14, 1900, and sometime thereafter was dismantled.
Originally the Globe Theatre, it became the Academy of Music June 14, 1883. Listed in Cahn's Theatrical Guide for 1898, with a seating capacity of 400, John Gordon, manager. It is not listed in the 1896 nor the 1908 Guide.

1883
Smith Opera House
Camera
dot yelRenovated recently as a modern office building. Building located at 114 N. Boulevard. Operated only 2 years as an entertainment facility; it closed during the winter of 1885-86 and soon after was remodeled and became the Grand Apartments.


dot blu Idaho Springs
1886
Idaho Springs Opera House
dot redSite now occupied by Carlson Elementary School on Miner Street.
A plaque on the Central Hose House (fire house) on Miner Street in Idaho Springs states that it was built in 1878 and the opera house and City Hall were next to it. However, unless there were two fire houses on Miner Street, this structure is likely a replacement for the original. The opera house was built by the town on town property and was in the midst of other town-owned buildings. The Idaho Springs Opera House joined McCourt's Tabor circuit in 1886.

1912
Idaho Springs Opera House
Camera
dot yelIn commercial use. Located at 1535 Miner. After its days as an opera house, the building became a movie theater, then an antique mall, and now shops and an office.


Iliff
1909
Opera House
dot yellow Still existing, at 4th St. and 3rd Ave., but is severe disrepair.
A two-story building, it is in skeletal condition and the roof has collapsed.

Julesburg
1908
Julesburg Opera House
dot yelTwo-story building located at 104-106 E. 1st Street. Built by Mayor Mark Burke, the lower area was a "hose house" and "office" for the city. The upper hall was used for professional engagements and local talent, as well as a skating rink. In 1914 it became the Masonic Lodge, which remained active until the 1980s. The space is unused at the present time and two businesses occupy the street level rooms.

1917
Lowe Opera House
dot redDestroyed by fire in 1972. In its later years it was a second-hand furniture store and then a teen center. The building began as Lowe's Livery Stables. After a remodeling in 1916 to create an auditorium for dancing, skating and performances, again in 1917 the building was expanded and a stage added to transform it into an opera house. It hosted a steady schedule of stock company drama interspersed with local talent events, then in the 40s was mainly used for dances.

Lafayette
ca. 1892
Bauer Opera House

dot red Destroyed when the town burned down on January 24, 1900.
The George Bauer Opera House was in the 400 block of Simpson St.
aft. 1900
Lafayette Opera House
(Union Hall)
dot red Union Hall was still functioning in 1924, when a large road show performed there. It no longer exists.
Which was the opera house is not known for certain. There was a 30 x 60 building, just north of Cleveland St. and the main road, owned by John Stobbs that was a roller rink and hall for socials, and there was a Webber Hall for the same purposes. The most likely is Union Hall where the well-known Welsh Choir gave concerts. The Lafayette opera house was a member of the Curran Circuit, as listed in the 1908 Cahn's Official Theatrical Guide, with a seating capacity 500; it was on the ground floor.
La Jara

1895
La Jara Opera House
Camera
dot yellow The second-floor opera house, as well as the first floor, are now apartments.
Built on the southeast corner of Main St. and the Alamosa-Antonito highway as the Johnson Warehouse, the upper floor was a large room with a stage at the south end. Traveling shows, dances, parties, plays and public meeting took place here. In 1922 George Fleischman rented the opera house and operated it as a movie theater and was called the Paramount Theater.

dot blu La Junta
1889
La Junta Opera House

dot red No longer exists.
Built by a stock company for $40,000. Probably the opera house on the Silver Theatrical Circuit of Peter McCourt in 1891. An opera house is stated to be in existence in 1891 in Hall's 1895 History of the State of Colorado, v. 4.

1901
La Junta Opera House
(La Junta Theatre)
camera
dot red Burned Jul 28, 1910. The building was 52 x 140 feet, two stories high, built of La Junta pressed brick and sandstone trimmings. It cost $20,000.
Was located at 217 Colorado Avenue. It is listed in the 1908 Cahn's Official Theatrical Guide, with a seating capacity of 900. It is listed in Cahn's 1906-07 Directory. There is no listing for an opera house/theater in the La Junta City Directory for 1914-15.

1913
Rourke Opera House
(Rourke Theatre)
dot yel Now the Fox Theater at 11 E. 3rd St. It was closed for a few years but was renovated in 2008 and is again showing movies.
At item in the Akron Weekly Pioneer Press, Apr 3, 1914, mentions the La Junta Elks starting rehearsals for their minstrel show to be given at the "new Rourke opera house" Apr 21 and 22. In the La Junta City Directory 1914-1915 a Rourke Block at "Colorado av NE cor 3d" is listed among the "Halls and Public Buildings" and the "new Rourke Theatre" is said to have cost $40,000. The ticket office was on Colorado and a long hallway led to the opera house to the east.

Lamar
1899
Lamar Opera House
dot redRazed in 1962 to make room for a parking lot. It was on the east side of the 100 block of South Main.
The two-story opera house, seating 700, was built by Fred Lee and Abraham Deeter. The theatre was on the second floor. It became a movie house in 1910. Remodeled by Fred Lee in 1919, it was used for dances, skating, basketball, and boxing, in addition to stage shows. Listed in the 1908 Cahn's Official Theatrical Guide.

dot blu Leadville
1879
Shoenberg Opera House
dot redWas used as a courthouse until March 1881. The two-story opera house was at 205 Chestnut St., near the NW corner of Pine. The first ball of the Knights of Robert Emmet was held March 18 and their second on October 22, 1879. After the courthouse was damaged by fire in July 1879, the opera house was leased by Lake County to serve as a courthouse. It was purchased January 5, 1880 by the Lake County Commissioners for use as a courthouse, in which use it continued until March 1881 when a new courthouse was built.

1879
Wood's Opera House

dot redBurned in 1882.
Colonel Ben Wood obtained lots 103-113 on E. Chestnut, upon which Wood's Opera House and the Windsor Hotel were built. The opera house opened October 13, 1879; it had 14 private boxes and seated 1,000. A. E. Jones became proprietor in November 1879 and renamed the theatre the Olympic. In 1880, Jones disappeared without paying rent or performers. Wood, the owner of the building, hired Edwin Jones to manage it and he renamed it the Chestnut Street Theatre. Later that year when Wood and Browne were unable to pay expenses, they were forced to close the theatre. Wood reopened it 2 weeks later as Wood's Opera house. In 1881 Wood leased his theater to Howard and Sullivan who changed the name to the Academy of Music, but the academy closed shortly and it burned in 1882.

1879
Tabor Opera House
Camera
dot greA Leadville landmark, largely still intact. Used for plays, concerts and operas. A grant  from Colorado’s State Historical Fund made possible a Historic Structure Assessment Study of the building in 2002.
The third and grandest opera house in Leadville, built by Horace Tabor, opened November 20, 1879. Tabor lost it in the 1893 silver crash. It was revived as the Weston Opera House, but later failed financially, and then the Elks Lodge acquired and remodeled the building as a theater and meeting hall in 1901. Purchased in 1955 by her mother, Evelyn E. Livingston Furman became sole owner of the opera house after her mother's death in 1965. The current owners are Sharon and Bill Bland.

Longmont
1881
Dickens Opera House
Camera
dot yelThe second-floor auditorium, which had a seating capacity of 850, now is a billiard parlor and bar. Stage and proscenium still intact. A designated historic landmark, located at the corner of 3rd and Main, above the Third Avenue Grill. Public entrance at 302 Main St. opens to wide stairs that ascend to the second floor. A stage door opens on 3rd St. Pop music groups perform on weekends.

Louisville
1895
Louisville Opera House
(Red Men Hall)
dot redTorn down in 1953. At the time it was owned by St. Louis Catholic Church of Louisville, which acquired it in 1947.
The hall, originally constructed as a meeting place for Redmen's Lodge, was on the southwest corner of Grant and Walnut. It became a center for recreational activities, including traveling road shows and concert artists, local plays, school graduations, wedding receptions, dances and roller skating. Seating capacity 450; located on ground floor; lodge hall was on the second. Was on the Curran Circuit. Listed in the 1908 Cahn's Official Theatrical Guide.

Loveland
1884
Bartholf Opera House
(A & B Opera House)
Camera
dot yelConverted in 1925 into steam heated apartments. It is located on the southwest corner at 4th and Cleveland. The A & B name was from the men who built the house, E. S. Allen and Frank Bartholf.
Seated 400; had 12 sets of scenery and an elegant drop curtain ordered from Chicago.  In the 1890's the building's exterior was extensively remodeled and again in 1925 when the opera house closed; additional re-modelings occurred in the late 1930's and 40's. It is now the Arcadia Hotel, 138 4th Street.

1903
Loveland Opera House
(Odd Fellows Opera House)
camera

dot yelHome of the Loveland Lodge of the I.O.O.F, at 319 4th St. Currently being renovated to restore the facade to its original appearance. The auditorium is on the second floor; the third story windows are in the balcony level.

Several Colorado newspapers carried this story: "The handsome new opera house at Loveland was opened on the night of October 4th [1903], the play being "On the Hills of California." The seating capacity is about 900." The 1904 City Directory lists the opera house as being at 317-323 4th St. The first floor has been commercial space with many tenants, the most enduring having been J. C. Penny from about 1914 to 1959. It once housed the Majestic Theatre.

Manassa
1907
Manassa Opera House
camera
dot greenThe building was restored in 1988. It is on 4th St. west of the Mormon Church.
A photograph labeled "La Jara Opera House" in the Denver Public Library and said to have been built in 1906 and burned in 1910, is the same building in Alamosa's Southern Peaks Public Library collection as the "San Luis Stake Academy" with the statement that it was built in Sanford and later moved to Manassa, it burned in later years, and in 1923-24 became Conejos County's first major educational institution. The first story of this building appears to have the same design as the Manassa Opera House.

Mancos
1899
Mancos Opera House

dot redBurned April 9, 1907.
Harry M. Davis was the proprietor and manager of the house and also sold bicycles. Just after the Mancos Opera House burned, the Odd Fellows announced that they were enlarging the stage in their hall, seating 500, and adding a curtain, to serve as an opera house.

1910
Mancos Opera House
camera
dot greOne of the larger and more substantial buildings in Mancos. It is located in the heart of Mancos on Grand Avenue, on the north side of the first block west of Grand's intersection with Main Street. The ground floor of the building is the home of the Mancos Veterans of Foreign Wars. Constructed by A. J. Ames and George Woods, the two-story, red brick structure was completed on March 1, 1910. The upper part of the building is the theater portion. The building appears to be three stories high, but the second-floor auditorium is two stories high. The 'third story' windows one sees from the outside are in the balcony on the south and west sides of the theater. Stabilization work enabled the performance venue upstairs to be opened on a limited basis for public events in spring 2004. For the first time in decades, school plays and the junior prom were held there, as well as concerts, Mardi Gras celebrations and other performances.

Manitou Springs
1889
Wheeler Hall
camera
dot yelPeter MacFarlane, who built the Central City Opera House, was the contractor for Wheeler Hall. In about 1900, the building was converted into a small hotel and was known as the Nyoda and then the El Parque. After serving as apartments for many years, new owners restored and preserved its historic character in 1975. It now houses businesses and living quarters. Jerome B. Wheeler, one of Colorado's great financiers, mining barons and generous benefactor, who also built the Wheeler Opera House in Aspen, erected the building in 1888-1889 as a detached, three-story structure with extensive brick and stonework. On opening day, a bank shared the ground floor with a dry goods store, nine offices were on the second floor; one early tenant was African-American boxer George Philip's school for physical culture.  The third floor with its 15' ceilings housed the town's first true opera house, Wheeler Hall, which held minor dramatics and balls. During the 1893 Silver Panic, the Wheeler Banking Company defaulted, as did many financial institutions.

Monte Vista
bef. 1894
Broadway Opera House
Camera
dot yelThe building was renovated in the 1930s and became a mortuary, which continues as its present use (now Strohmayer's Funeral Home).
Located on Broadway at SW corner of 2nd Ave. An item in the Creede Candle, 29 June 1894, about a Masonic convention there, dates the building as pre-1894.  In Cahn's Theatrical Guide for 1896 it is called Broadway Armory; in the Guide for 1898 it is called Broadway Opera House; in the 1908 Guide as Broadway Opera House and Rink. Seating capacity was 600. Listed in the 1911 city directory, A. M. Isbell mgr., and the 1913/14 city directory, C. I. Day mgr.

dot blu Montrose
1888
Buddecke and Diehl Opera House
Camera
dot red Torn down in 1959 after a new armory was built. The opera house was on the northwest corner of N. 1st St. and Townsend Ave.

It opened Feb 20, 1888 (see photograph of interior) taken on that date), by the famed Effie Ellsler, starring in the play "Woman Against Woman". Was in the Tabor Circuit in 1888. In 1909 the opera house was sold to the state of Colorado to be used for an armory, as well as theatre purposes. The house was in use in 1915 as evidenced by a photograph taken in the opera house that year.

1902
Gray Opera House

dot redBurned Jan 8, 1912. The first Gray Opera House was built by Judge John Gray.
1912
Gray Opera House
dot yelThe building, still standing, has a restaurant in the lower story and apartments in the second story. On N. 1st St. between Cascade and Umcompaghre.
A new opera house was built on the site of the ruins of the first Gray Opera House by owner John Gray and manger Edward J. Cooper. Also known as the Montrose Opera House, it eventually became the Empress Theatre. Had a seating capacity of 300. It closed in 1939 as a theatre.

Newcastle
bef. 1892
Hahan Opera House
do redBurned about 1950.
Became a movie house in the 1920s.

Olathe
1897
Chimney Hall
dot yelNow a community/senior center, on the very west end of Main St. across from the Olathe Baptist Church.
In addition to being an opera house, the building also served as Olathe's third school building. Later, when Odd Fellows purchased it for $500, it became the IOOF Hall.

1900
Olathe Opera House
dot red Burned in 1918.
Located at the corner of Horton and Main, W. J. Horton founded the Colorow Hardware Company in May, 1895, and later built a two-story structure that housed the hardware downstairs and the opera house upstairs, which was fitted with a good stage and other accessories of a modern opera house. Became a movie house in 1914.

????
Rhodes Hall
dot redThe building burned. The present structure on the site was Peterson's Garage or Olathe Motors, at Fourth and Hersum.
John McGregor built the two-story structure, with the Lathrop Hardware downstairs and an opera house upstairs. The opera house was used in the 20s and 30s for high school dances and proms.


Ouray
1888
Wright's Opera House
Camera
dot greAround the year 2000 it was converted into a movie theater which operated until late 2006. Currently it sits empty, awaiting a buyer.

Seating capacity of the upstairs opera house was 500. Listed in the 1908 Cahn's Official Theatrical Guide. Mesker Brothers cast iron facade still in good condition. For many years after the mining bust and subsequent end of performances it was used as a multi-use building for presentations and community events.

Pagosa Springs
1895
Gross Grand Opera House
dot redThe opera house site is now the location of the "old" Wells Fargo Bank Building, between 5th St. and McCabe Creek. Built by Gean Gross; it was 30 x 60 feet, located on the east side of McCabe Creek along San Juan St.; used for a post-election Ball in 1895 and for a Masquerade Ball at the end of 1895. Gross was a dealer in "General House Furnishings" in 1894 and in "Stoves and Ranges" in 1899.

Paonia
ca. 1898
Grewel Opera House

dot redTorn down about 1957.
Built by I. W. Grewel, it was the first opera house and dance hall in Paonia. For about 40 years before it was destroyed, it was used as pool hall.

1906
Paonia Opera House
Camera
dot red The upper floor was condemned and later removed sometime in the 1930s. The truncated building burned about 1995. The two-story building on Second Street also was the Odd Fellows Hall. The Odd Fellows met on the second floor and the opera house was on the ground floor, an atypical arrangement for an opera house at the time. (A Grewel's Opera House in Paonia is dated 1898; nothing else known.)

dot blu Pueblo
1879
Montgomery Opera House
dot redIn 1885 owner Montgomery made a residence of the building. In 1915 it was remodeled and steam heat was added by owners Mrs. Walpole and Mrs. Downey. The next, and last, use was as a part of E.M. Christmas Restaurant. The restaurant was razed and now the site is a parking lot for a savings and loan association.

Pueblo's first opera house, it was at 111 West Seventh Street. The adobe building was constructed in the late 60s for Lewis Conley and first used as a store, then later converted into a hall and for a number of years was known as Conley Hall. At one time the building was owned by Charles Goodnight, who sold it to B. C. Montgomery in 1879 and it then became known as the opera house.  The Thespian Theatrical company, composed of local talent, produced plays there for several years.

1882
Turner Opera House
dot redClosed in 1886 as an opera house and reopened in 1889 as a variety house.
In 1881 the Turnverein Society opened Turner Hall at the corner of North Union and Grand. In 1882, after being leased to Langrishe and Pierce, it was renamed Pueblo, or Turner, Opera House. That same year the Colorado Opera Company presented Brittle Silver, Colorado's popular opera, at the Turner Opera House. On January 8, 1886 the Milan Opera Company presented Bellini's La Sonnambula, the first time an opera in Italian was presented in Pueblo.

1886
DeRemer Opera House
Camera
dot red On February 12, 1899 a fire devastated the theater; it was not rebuilt. The opera house was at 701 N. Main.

A stage house was constructed at one end of a large skating hall. It seated 803 on the main floor and a bit more than 300 in a gallery. In 1887 Emma Abbott and her company presented Balfe's The Bohemian Girl. A fire on May 1, 1888 heavily damaged the opera house, but it was rebuilt the following year. In 1891 the DeRemer was remodeled into a musee and theatorium and called Wonderland. In late summer of 1893 it became the Columbia. In 1897 the Columbia was again the DeRemer Opera House.

1890
Grand Opera House
Camera
dot red Destroyed by fire March 1, 1922. A wealthy Pueblo banker named Baxter engaged the architectural firm of Danker, Adler, and Sullivan, who had designed the Auditorium Theatre in Chicago, to construct the new house. Designed by Louis Sullivan, it seated 1,200 and cost $350,0000. It was the largest theater in Colorado. Inaugurated October 9, 1890, with performance of Gilbert and Sullivan's Iolanthe by the Duff Opera Company of Chicago.

Rocky Ford
1901
Grand Opera House
camera
dot red Destroyed by fire in 1934. The site is now occupied by the Grand Theater, 405 S. Main St., completed in 1935; owned by the city of Rocky Ford since 1990. 
Seating capacity 655. Listed in the 1908 and 1921 Cahn's Guides. Listed in the 1914-15 Rocky Ford city directory: Opera House Block 405-407 S. Main; Todd, Joel W., Attorney at Law, office Opera House Block, Mgr. Grand Opera House. Todd also was lessee of the Rourke Theater in La Junta. In 1926 it became a movie house.


Saguache


bef. 1913
Means Opera House

dot red The site of the opera house is now a children's park, donated in memory of a former Mayor Floyd Smith.

The Means Opera House is listed in  F. A. McKinney's San Luis Valley City Directory 1913-1914. A map of Barrons, dated 1920, shows an opera house with stage, lights and footlights. It was on San Juan Ave. a block from Main St. It is a listed in the 1921 Cahn-Hill Directory of a movie house. It seated 182.

dot blu Salida
1881
Dickmann Opera House
(Craig's Opera House)

dot red Destroyed by a fire on January 2, 1888. An item in the Montezuma Millrun, Jan. 7, 1888, refers to the burning of "Craig's Opera House block."

The community's first opera house that was built by Dickmann on the corner of 2nd and F streets. 
1889
Salida Opera House
Camera
dot yel Until 2007 it was the Unique movie theater, with two shops on the street front, at 129 W. 1st Street. The upstairs hall was used by the local Masonic order.
Cahn's Theatrical Guides for 1896 and 1898 list the seating capacity as 650. The opera house, substantially altered in 1920 when it became a movie theater, retained its balustraded balconies. Owner John Groy had considered the possibility of a historical restoration, but the new owner has obtained permission to demolish the building except for the facade.

Sanford
bef. 1913
Sanford Opera House
dot red Demolished in the 1930s.
The Sanford Opera House is listed in  F. A. McKinney's San Luis Valley City Directory 1913-1914, H. A. Mortenson manager. In addition to managing the opera house, Holm A. Mortenson was a dealer in wallpaper and paints, a mail contractor and operated a livery.
Silver Cliff
1879
Arbour Opera House
?? Fate unknown. Built by Silks and Anderson and opened in August, 1879. A man named Arbour was the proprietor.

Silver Plume
1890
Bruce Opera House
dot red Torn down about 1917-20. Site is now covered by westbound Interstate 70.
In 1886 an Opera house Association was formed. It was on Woodward Ave. opposite the depot. The opera house was on the first floor and the National Hotel on the second. It served for a period as a skating rink.

Silverton
1891
Silverton Opera House

dot red No longer exists. Was located on Blair St., the notorious red-light district.

1905
Pascoe Opera House

dot red Taken down in the 1940s. In 1967 the Prospector Motel stood on the site.
A second opera house in Silverton was built by Dr. J. N. Pascoe on Greene St. between 10th and 11th. The August 6, 1905, issue of the Silverton Standard newspaper contains a notice which states it is the new opera house, thus dating the house back to that year.

Sterling
1888
Sterling Opera House

dot redThe building was damaged during a large dance in 1908; it was destroyed about 1910 and a new courthouse was built on the site.
The opera house was on the second floor above the old courthouse. Seating capacity 425. Listed in the 1908 Cahn's Official Theatrical Guide.


Telluride
bef. 1896
Telluride Opera House
Red Men Opera House
(Red Men Hall)

dot redBuilding was on the south end of Fir Street.  It burned November 24, 1905 The "Telluride Opera House" is mentioned in the Telluride Daily Journal from 1896 to 1911. In 1899 the local lodge of Red Men bought the "old opera house on South Fir streets" as a meeting place for their order. In August 1902 they decided to enlarge the building and make it two stories, with the ground floor as an auditorium with a stage and dressing rooms, the second floor to contain the lodge room and banquet hall. The opera house opened in December of that year with a moving picture show.

1898
Stubbs & Jakway Opera House

?? The building was declared unsafe and condemned in 1912 but was again in use in 1914.

The Telluride Daily Journal in 1897 has several mentions of the opera house, and one refers to it as "new" in that year and being on East Main St. The official opening was Jan 6, 1898. A skating rink, the Columbine, was opened there in 1913. The opera house is mentioned in the newspaper through 1923.

1906
Red Men Opera House
(Red Men Hall)
dot red Destroyed after 1911, as a widely published photograph of the Mule Skinner's Ball Committee meeting there bears the date of March 10, 1911.

The Red Men in 1906 added a stage to Red Men Hall, to create an opera house that could seat 1,000. Apparently, this was the second Red Men Opera House, and replaced the one that burned in 1905. The 1911 photograph in the Denver Public Library of the Mule Skinner's Ball Committee meeting states it is in "Redmond's Opera House." Various publications refer to it as "Redmonds" and "Redman's," misnomers of the Lodge Hall of the Improved Order of Red Men.

1913
Sheridan Opera House
Camera
dot greHome for concerts, plays, and movies. Originally called the Segerberg Theatre, it opened as a moving picture theatre; later dubbed the Sheridan Opera House, as it was built next to the posh New Sheridan Hotel.
The 240 seat theater, built by the Telluride miners, opened as a picture show, vaudeville theater and community center. Performers such as Lillian Gish and Sarah Bernhardt have graced the stage. In 1991 Sandra Carradine, founder of the Sheridan Arts Foundation, saved the opera house from demolition. Restoration is continuing.


dot blu Trinidad

1883
Trinidad Opera House
(Jaffa Opera House)
Camera
dot yelThe upstairs opera house has been divided and converted into apartments. The ground floor has always been commercial space.
Built by Jewish merchant brothers, Sol, Henry and Sam Jaffa, at the corner of Main and Commercial. Upstairs was the 700-seat opera house beneath an oval stained-glass skylight. To get to the auditorium of the Opera House patrons climbed the wide staircase located in the middle of the front of the building on Main Street. The Trinidad Opera House was added to McCourt's Southern Circuit in 1887. The commercial theater aspect of the building gave way to the West Theater which opened in 1908. The last curtain at the Opera House fell in 1909.

1908
West Opera House
dot green Now the Fox Theatre at 423 W. Main. The name was changed to Fox-West in 1929 and to Fox in 1942. It was purchased in 1959 by John, Marie and Sallie Sawaya. Movies are shown seven nights a week.
Originally named for its owner Ed West, a Trinidad, Colorado businessman, this Rococo-style theater with remarkable twin balconies, was designed by I.H. & W.M. Rapp, Northern New Mexico and Southern Colorado's leading architects between about 1895 and 1920. Ground was broken on February 17, 1907, and the theater opened on March 16, 1908. In 1911, silent movies were introduced in conjunction with vaudeville. The Sonora Grand Opera Co. presented Rigoletto, Il Trovatore and Lucia di Lammermoor in 1920. In September 1925, a Wurlitzer-Hope Jones theatre organ was installed. The Fox has a listing on Cinema Treasures website.

dot blu Victor
ca. 1896
Victor Opera House

dot redBurned during 1899 fire. Was on the East side of North 2nd between Victor and Diamond Ave.

ca. 1902
Victor Opera House
Camera
dot redBurned September 27, 1920. The opera house's owner, E. H. Hall of Denver, was insured for no more than $6,500. The opera house was being used as a motion picture theater.
Built, at a cost of $65,000, near or on the original Victor Opera House site, at the corner of Victor Ave. and 2nd St.; was the largest structure in the Cripple Creek District; seating capacity 1,200; the organ was said to have cost over $6,000; Jack Dempsey began his career in Victor and boxed at the opera house.
Walsenburg
1889
Mazzone Opera House
dot red Burned in 1989.
The structure at 6th and Main St., costing $15,000 to build, had a saloon on the ground floor and an opera house seating 250 on the second floor. Entertainments held there include balls, dances, concerts, school commencements and various traveling shows. The house was modified in 1908 to allow showing of moving pictures. The Mazzone Opera House was listed in the 1911 Walsenburg Directory with Henry Gordon mgr. In 1927 it became Snodgrass Foods, was converted in 1938 to a Safeway store, and lastly was a Black and White Grocery.

Windsor
1902
Windsor Opera House
Camera
dot yelNow a private residence. An outside stair (now covered) on the south side of the building leads to the former opera house.
Located at 205 4th St., the second floor of this two-story building was the opera house. In 1905 it was sold to the Masons and became their lodge. The brick building has been covered with stucco, except for the front of the first story. The lower floor houses two businesses.

Wray
1901
Carl Opera House

dot yel The building is still located on Wray's Main St. (the address was the corner of Chief and Pawnee when it was built) and is now Amos Jewelry.
As reported in the Wray Gazette, May 12, 1904, Amos Carl, a hardware and furniture merchant, converted the second story of his large business block into and opera house with a seating capacity of about 400 and a stage "generously supplied with beautiful new scenery that would be creditable to a town of many times the size of Wray. It will be a comfortable and very attractive place of amusement." It was of brick and had an outside stair on the south side.

1904
Pickett Opera House
dot redClosed in 1921. It was hit by a tornado on Oct. 17, 1971, which destroyed the back half of the building; it was then torn down.
Erected on the corner of Third and Main St. by Charles DeWitt Pickett, this structure operated as a theatre, principally as a moving picture house until 1918. The stage curtains are in the Wray Museum.

1920
Blanchard Opera House
dot red The building was vacant in 1966. It was being torn down when a tornado struck it Oct. 17, 1971.

Built by Cosie Blanchard, one of Wray's best know citizens, at a cost of $60,000, it stood on W. 3rd St, adjoining the Pickett House. It became the Tyco Theatre, a movie house, and later was called the Blanchard Building. The cornerstone of the building is in the Wray Museum.

Go to Top of Page